When there are issues with getting your hair to grow, it’s important to rectify the situation both internally and externally. A number of factors contribute to reduced hair growth, from your scalp being too dirty or your pores being blocked from build-up.
It is true that nothing but time can make your hair grow, but there may be ways to help stimulate hair growth. Check out these options to give your curls extra encouragement.
1. Peppermint Oil
With a fresh aroma, this strongly concentrated oil must be diluted before applying the scalp. It penetrates the scalp and stimulates the hair follicle, allowing for more oxygen production that gives your curls the green light to grow.
Apply it directly to the scalp with a gentle massage and cover for 20 to 30 minutes.
Check out this DIY Peppermint Pre-Poo recipe to help stimulate blood circulation to your scalp.
2. Lavender Oil
This sweet smelling product has antibacterial properties that keep the scalp clean and the pores open. It helps to reduce issues that can prevent hair from growing like excessive dandruff.
Use this fragrant herb as a rinse by boiling it in water and allowing it to cool. You can also use it as a deep conditioning treatment by infusing it with oil for three or four weeks before using.
3. Rosemary Oil Hailed as one of the most effective oils in hair growth, rosemary oil is known for its scalp stimulating properties. It gets the blood circulating in your scalp, which also assists with thinning edges and balding spots. Tip: Try diluting this essential oil with jojoba oil and gently massaging it into your scalp.
4. Stinging Nettle This herb does double duty. Allowing stinging nettle oil to sit in your hair overnight can help combat hair loss and also give your curls a boost in the growth department. The nutrients help regenerate the hair and prevent the overproduction of DHT, a hormone that contribute to hair loss. Tip: You can purchase this herb in oil form and leave it on overnight or make a tea and use it as a rinse.
5. Jamaican Black Castor Oil It can be incredibly frustrating to have a nice, full head of curls with noticeably thinning edges due to heat usage, over-styling, or other types of damage. Now that you know how to treat your hair better, you can make amends by applying Jamaican black castor oil to your trouble zones. As with any remedy, patience is required but if you are persistent about using it, the thickness of your edges will return.
6. Aloe Vera This mega hair growth stimulant is jam-packed with more than 20 minerals and an abundance of vitamins like A, C, and E (just to name a few). It helps hair grow by reducing the overproduction of sebum — an oily substance that your scalp secretes. Excessive sebum can slow hair growth by clogging your pores. Because it is an antibacterial, aloe vera works by zapping that oily build-up and allowing your pores to breathe.
7. Sage Oil This oil increases blood circulation to your hair follicle. It also aids in controlling excessive sebum from the scalp. If your curls are limp and your strands aren’t growing, sage oil might be the move for you.
8. Onion Juice The smell might be less than pleasant to some (or most) but this DIY treatment has been used for ages and for a good reason — it works! Thanks to its high sulfur content, it is incredibly effective in stimulating and increasing your blood circulation. Tip: Blend or chop onions and then strain the juice. Apply to your hair for 15 min. and then wash thoroughly.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar When your scalp is battling build-up, trying to get your curls to grow is an uphill battle. Product build-up, dirt, and grime all contribute to disrupting your scalp’s natural pH levels and effecting growth. Restore balance and stimulate hair growth with an ACV rinse following your shampoo. It will leave your hair soft and give it shine.
10. Eggs Eggs are full of all of the major essential vitamins and minerals (except for C) including zinc, iron and selenium. Tip: Try beating an egg and applying it to your hair in order to increase oxygen and blood production to the scalp. This application also assist in healthy cell division. Rinse it out after 20 minutes with cold water (warm water makes it curdle and stick to your hair) and shampoo. Give it a few tries in order to gauge results.