1. Tell me a little about yourself and your hair journey. (Name, where you’re from, etc)
Hey Curls! My name is Frankie Monroe coming out of Houston, TX. Born but not completely raised, I grew up all over Texas, so it’s all about southern hospitality for me. So I guess that makes me a true southern belle.
2. How long have you been natural? Have you always embraced your curls?
I went natural in 2010 and never looked back, but that was after several attempts and failures through my teen years and young adult life.. well not complete failures. Each time I went natural I got stronger in myself confidence to a certain extent, but what gave me the ultimate strength to never go back to the creamy crack was having my first child.
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper? Why?
After having my daughter, I thought of how she would perceive herself. I know I had huge self-esteem issues growing up, especially with my hair. I looked at her curls and I saw the most beautiful curls, but she would never take me word for it. I had to lead by example, thus doing a big chop and I have kept going since, learning and becoming stronger with each day.
4. How would you describe your hair?
I would describe my hair as a dream come true. In my relaxed days, I would have pretty hair, but it was never full and thick. My scalp would always be in bad condition and I never could figure out how to get my hair like I have always wanted. After going natural, I realized I do have the hair that I have always dreamed of.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
It’s apart of me that I never knew really existed until 2010. That’s what I love about it, it’s like I am rediscovering myself.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey? Has it been easy, difficult, or both?!
It hasn’t always been easy. After I big chopped, I struggled a lot. I watched a lot of videos and went through a lot of products. After I let go of my expectations and just completely accepted my own individual texture, that’s when everything clicked. My most memorable part of my journey is winning the Motions Naturally You Natural Girl Contest and flying to New York to do a photo shoot for Essence Magazine. It was AMAZING!!
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos’?
I got in a twist out and protective style groove for a while, but now I am all about a perm rod set! I cut my own hair into a tapered cut and have been rocking since!
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural’? Any memorable reactions from family or others?
I haven’t had any negative experiences to be honest. My family embraced it and so did my hubby. In fact, my hubby prefers it. The thing I did notice most of all, however, is seeing so many other naturals when I am out and about. It’s so cool to see another natural and I see more and more as the years go by.
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
I am a bleached blonde so my regimen is strict. My main goal is to have a great protein and moisture balance. I do protein treatments once a month. I switch between Alphogee Protein Treatment and Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. I deep condition (the product may vary depending on what my hair needs at the time) every week and I get under the steamer once a week if not every other week. I wash and condition with Joico violet shampoo and conditioner. I use the LOC (Liquid, Oil & Cream) method when styling. For the liquid, I love doing a ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses, for the oil I use a hair butter that I mix myself. I have a recipe and how I make it is on my YouTube channel. I put it on wet hair and I follow up with Cantu Leave In Conditioner for my cream. It keeps my hair very moist.
10. What are some of your favorite natural hair websites,YouTuber’s, or blogs?
I don’t really have a favorite YouTuber besides myself. (wink, wink)
11. Anything you want the readers to know? Inspirational words?
I stay set goals and see them to the end, you will be surprised at what you can accomplished and what you can become.
12. Where can people find you for more information?
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/ilovefrankiemonroe