What’s a naturalista to do when her hair is being crazy and uncooperative? A hot oil treatment!
A hot oil treatment is the perfect option when your hair has become dry and damaged because of chemicals, heat tools, and the environment. The purpose of these treatments is to strengthen the hair and restore moisture so it’s back to being healthy and shiny. The treatments are also good for the scalp because it’ll soak up the oils and increase blood circulation to the follicles. Massaging the scalp with oils containing Amla, Brahmi, Olive, and Avocado oils is effective, especially for reducing hair shedding.
Other benefits include:
1. Prevents frizz
2. Prevents drying of the hair shaft
3. Great for scalp issues and dandruff
4. Better elasticity
5. Length retention
Hot oil treatments are super easy to do and can be done in the privacy of your own home. They’re easy to apply and aren’t time consuming at all. Of course there’s always the classic VO5 bottle, but, of course, there are alternatives to everything. Some great oil alternatives are:
1. Coconut-stimulates growth, softens hair and scalp, and eliminates dandruff
2. Olive-high in vitamins A and E for anti-aging and disinfectant; also moisturizes, soothes, and heals
3. Castor-adds strength and is great for those with thin hair that breaks easily.
4. Almond-helps condition, nourish, and softens hair while stimulating growth
5. Jojoba Oil-leaves hair light and soft
Depending on your hair’s needs, you can do them either weekly, biweekly, or monthly.
What do you use hot oil treatments for? How often do you use them?
[By Alexandria Jones]