1. Tell me a little about yourself and your hair journey.
My name is Kayla L. I’ll be 24 in October. I currently reside in Dallas, TX but moving to back Houston within the next month. I went to the University of Houston where I was a cheerleader and also majored in Dance. I’m married to an awesome man named Lee and together we have a sweet baby girl Kayleigh.
2. How long have you been natural? Have you always embraced your curls?
I’ve been natural for 2 years and 7 months. I big chopped in December of 2012. Growing up I was natural until the age of 12. I got a relaxer because my mom just couldn’t handle doing my hair anymore. It was so thick and I was very tender headed.
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper& why?
I attempted to transition many times before but after about 8 months I would end up getting a relaxer because I couldn’t handle the two textures and at the time I was scared to loose my length. Finally I felt the need for a change so I began slowly cutting my hair until it was a nice short Rihanna cut. My hair was too thick to be short so I decided instead of relaxing it again I’d just cut it off. So I went into my bathroom and cut off all the relaxed hair and was left with about two inches.
4. How would you describe your hair?
Honestly like a store. It has so much to offer but it can be overwhelming at times.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
I love that my hair has helped mold me into who I am today.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey?Has it been easy or difficult or both?!
The most memorable time was when I big chopped and I had nothing left to hide behind. I felt ugly and like no one would ever want me. It was a very difficult time for me because I let my hair define who I was, but in all my journey has been pretty easy and exciting. I would do it all over again!
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos’
My favorite hairstyle would definitely be a braid out.
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural.’ Any memorable reactions from family or others?
My experience has been wonderful. When I first big chopped my family didn’t really support it just because “I had good hair” and that it would never grow back because I cut it myself during the wrong time. Haha, but of course two years and seven months later everyone is natural.
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
Right now, I use the TRESemmé naturals shampoo and conditioner. The Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castro Oil Leave-In Conditioner Coconut & Grapeseed Oil faithfully.
10. What are some of your favorite natural hair websites,YouTuber’s, or blogs?
My favorite natural hair YouTubers would be Mini Marley, and Naptural85. I have recently subscribed to GlamTwinz334 and I’m enjoying that we share the same texture hair.
11. Anything you want the readers to know? Inspirational words?
Just to enjoy your journey no matter where you are in it. Don’t miss out on you TWA days wishing you had longer hair because you will miss it. Your natural hair journey isn’t just about your hair it’s about yourself to. There is a lesson to be learned in it all.
12. Where can people find you for more information?