1. Tell me a little about yourself and your hair journey. (Name, where you’re from, etc)
Hello, my name is Shontelle Walton, I currently live in South Florida but I am originally from the island of Barbados and I grew up in New York City. I’ve studied both fashion design and fashion merchandising in New York and have had my design featured on the cover of maxim magazine in 2007. I started an online boutique called Verona’s Pearl [www.veronaspearl.com] named after my two grandmothers and I am in the process of opening my first brick & mortar location back home on the island.
2. How long have you been natural? Have you always embraced your curls?
I have been natural since growing out my natural hair since November 2014
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper& why?
This is my second time going natural, during my first round I had a bit to much heat damage because of the blow dryer, flat iron and hair color.
One day, I went to the barber shop and had them just shaved my hair off completely. From there I wore a short shaved permed (aka “creamy crack) cut, which worked out very well for about 3 1/2 years but then I started to see my hair thinning in certain areas.That is when I decided to grow my hair natural again but this time without heat, blowdryers and dyes.
4. How would you describe your hair?
I have 3c/4a hair, which I would describe as “thirsty”, it needs as much moisture as it can get.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
I love my coils, I can not believe that this is my natural texture.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey?Has it been easy or difficult or both?!
The most memorable part of my journey was the realization of the actual quality and texture of my hair, which happened about 4 months into my journey.
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos’
Try as many products as possible until you find what works for you and deep condition as much as possible.
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural?’ Any memorable reactions from family or others?
At first, I received some negative feedback about my initial decision but then as my coils started to form I was then being asked for advise.
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
I’m always experimenting with deep conditioners so I stock up during every sale I see