2. How long have you been natural?
Technically I’ve been natural my whole life. I think I did get a one kiddie perm when I was 11. So since then it has been 20 years :). But it has only been within the last two years I’ve started to love and embrace my hair.
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper& why?
I started watching YouTube and looking for videos on how to style my hair and I kept seeing these women
With gorgeous natural hair and I was actually inspired to start taking care of my hair. Looking at these women embracing their natural hair actually gave me confidence in embracing mine.
4. How would you describe your hair?
It is very fine/thin. I would say it’s 3b-3c.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
Now that we get along, I love everything about it. I love my natural curl pattern.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey?Has it been easy or difficult or both?!
The route to actually taking care of it and getting it to grow thicker and longer has been tough. It’s a very patient process in learning your hair. What works and what doesn’t. But it has also been a very exciting one. My favorite part of this journey has been not only me seeing a change but other people around me seeing a change in the health of my hair.
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos?
Honestly, my wash and go. I never appreciated what my hair could do before but now I love it.
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural?’ Any memorable reactions from family or others?
Well since I’ve always been natural, I think it’s more of a finally you’re embracing your hair.
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
Every night I spray water on my roots and ends and put it in a pineapple. I try not to do too much. I also spray my roots and ends every morning. That simple step has been a game changer. I also deep condition it once a week with eggs, bananas and avocados. I let my deep conditioning treatment sit on there at least an hour. I also do not use shampoo at all. I only use Shea moisture conditioners. My all time favorite go to product is Cantu leave in conditioner. I use it everyday!! It’s a life saver.
10. Who is your hair crush?
Taren Guy, Naptural85, Blue Ivy and Tracee Ellis Ross (hope I spelled that right)
11. What are some of your favorite natural hair websites,YouTuber’s, or blogs?
Naptural85 is my favorite!!!!
12. Anything you want the readers to know? Inspirational words?
Embrace YOUR hair, it suits you! Don’t compare your hair to anyone else and be patient with it!
13. Where can people find you for more information?
Facebook: Tanisha Alaya Bess