1. Tell us about yourself.
My name is Denysha and I am a natural hair enthusiast from Trinidad & Tobago. I am also an author of a natural hair care book called ‘All About Kinky Curly Hair.’ My hair journey has been a great one thus far. I have tried almost everything possible from coloring to even tapered cuts. My goal however, is healthy hair.
2. How long have you been natural?
I have been natural since December 2012.
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper& why?
I transitioned for 10 months before my impromptu big chop in December 2012. My choice to transition was due to the fact that I wanted my hair to grow out a bit before taking the plunge to chop off my relaxed ends.
4. How would you describe your hair?
My hair is super thick with a combination of curl patterns.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
The thing I love most about my hair is its versatility.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey?Has it been easy or difficult or both?!
My journey has been both easy and difficult but what I love most is that it only gets better with time.
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos?
When I transitioned I mostly rocked buns. Now my favorite style is a flat twist out since getting a tapered cut earlier this year.
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural?’ Any memorable reactions from family or others?
As a natural I have occasionally experienced the usual “can I touch it” question which requires me to do a matrix move. One memorable moment was at a fast food restaurant where the cashier asked me if it was my hair. When I told her yes she just shook her head and gave me a thumbs up.
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
My hair regimen is pretty simple. I pre-poo with an oil then shampoo with a sulphate free shampoo. Then I use use an instant conditioner most times its Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner Coconut to detangle. I then deep condition with heat for 30 minutes and then rinse my hair with cold water. This is then followed by me prepping for a style for the week. I do this routine once a week with a few weekly alterations as I see fit.
10. Who is your hair crush?
My hair crush is Rene Daniella aka OwnByFemme.
11. Who are your favorite vloggers?
My favorite YouTubers are Mini_Marley, YoursNaturally11 and NaturalMetra.
12. Any suggestions for readers?
My tip for the readers is to be patient as this journey can be a long one but it is worth it.
13. Where can we find you for more?
I can be found on: