Sometimes we have products that we like but are just missing that one element to help give it the “umph” to make it a favorite. There are also a few steps you can take to help make your hair routine just a little bit easier. Here are a few really quick and easy tricks that you can do to potentially give your products and routine that something extra!
- Carrier Oil to Shampoo
– if your shampoo just takes the cleansing part a step too far (leaving you with a squeaky clean/stripped feeling) try adding ½ a teaspoon of any of your favorite carrier to your hair before applying the shampoo. This will limit the amount of stripping from the shampoo. (Be careful not to slip in the shower because of the oil)!
- Shampoo to Conditioner
– mix about 1 tablespoon of shampoo to the regular amount of conditioner you usually use (in a plastic bowl) and voilà, you have yourself a cleansing conditioner! This will condition and cleanse your hair at the same time without stripping it bare.
- Humectants to Conditioner
– for those whose hair loves humectants (e.g. honey/glycerin/agave nectar/Aloe Vera Juice) add 1 teaspoon of your choice of humectant to your favorite conditioner (in a plastic bowl) before applying it to your hair for extra moisture!
- Protein to Conditioner
– if you are facing moisture overload (you hair stretched and stretches without springing back to shape, it feels mushy and/or looks limp) try diluting 1 teaspoon of gelatin to 3 – 4 tablespoons of warm water. Add the gelatin mix to your conditioner (in a plastic bowl) before applying to your hair. This will provide strengthen your hair and provide your curls with pop! (Gelatin is not a vegetarian/vegan friendly ingredient)!
- Adding Slip to Conditioner
– add 1/8 – ¼ cup of home-made Flax Seed Gel (there are tons of recipes online) to the amount of conditioner you usually use. The Flax Seed Gel will provide you with extra slip along with moisture and nourishing elements!
- Ease Detangling with a Hot Oil Treatment
– use one/two/a combination of your favorite oils and lightly warm them up (no direct heat)! Instead double broil method the oils for no more than 3 -5 minutes on low heat. First spritz your hair with water, then apply the warm oils (make sure it is not hot just slightly warm) and cover with a shower cap. 30 minutes later, gently finger detangle your hair and then proceed with your wash routine. P.S if you are looking to grow your hair do a gentle scalp massage while the oils are on your scalp.
- Infuse Carrier Oils –
you can infuse your carrier oils with things like coffee beans to stimulate hair growth (keep in mind this might darken your hair due to the coffee beans), dried rose petals for antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties and scalp irritations, dried lavender to sooth an itchy and dry scalp…the infusion options are endless!