1. Tell me a little about yourself and your hair journey.
My name is Donyell Johnson, I’m a 21 year old stay at home parent. I’m originally from Greenville, SC but reside in Nashville, TN. My hair journey has been amazing and worth it!!
2. How long have you been natural? Have you always embraced your curls?
I’ve been natural for 4 years(since 2012). I’ve always embraced my curls even when people joked about my hair and thought it wasn’t cute.
3. What motivated you to transition? Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper& why?
I transitioned because I wanted a new hair style and I hated spending hours at the hair salon. I transitioned for 8 months before I cut off my relaxed ends. It is hard to take care of two different hair textures, I’m surprised I transitioned for that long.
4. How would you describe your hair?
My hair is very coarse and frizzy with beautiful 3C/4A curls.
5. What do you love most about your hair?
I love my natural hair shape, which is a heart if I part it down the middle. People always think I’ve gotten a diva cut because of the shape of it.
6. What has been the most memorable part of your journey?Has it been easy or difficult or both?!
The most memorable part of my journey is right after I big chopped. I was out at the beach with my friends and this guy ended up saying, “I like your grass.” haha I laughed and told him thank you, because just like grass…my hair was going to grow back fast. You cut it, then you water it and take care of it and then it grows. The Journey has been both difficult and easy. Of course at the beginning it is very difficult because the natural hair life is something new but once you figure out your hair and what products to use it becomes easy. Well, until you have those lazy days where you just don’t want to do your hair.
7. What are (or were) some of your favorite transitioning hairstyles or current dos’
My favorite transitioning hairstyles were plaits or I kept it straight. My current hairstyles are twist outs, wash n go’s, the high puff, or wearing it as a fro.
8. What have your experiences been as a ‘natural.’ Any memorable reactions from family or others?
Everyone loves my natural hair. I was the second person to go natural in my entire family. Then my mom and sister went natural, then cousins and now currently my aunt is trying to go natural. I love that they’re embracing what God gave them!
9. What is your hair regimen (including fav products)?
I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. I first deep condition with Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, and Trader Joes Natural Spa Conditioner. If I need protein I will add an egg or some mayo to the mixture. Then I wash with Trader Joes Natural Spa Shampoo and Conditioner. My current favorite styling products are Entwine Couture’s Leave in conditioner, the hydration creme, and argan oil. I also love Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel for my wash n’ go.
10. What are some of your favorite natural hair websites,YouTuber’s, or blogs?
I love the Natural Hair Mag, and my favorite natural hair Youtubers are Naptural85, MahoganyCurls, and Summer Kellsey.
11. Anything you want the readers to know? Inspirational words?
Patience is a major key to natural hair. You can’t rush hair growth or finding the right products that work best for you. Also, always embrace your natural beauty! Adore it curl friend!!
12. Where can people find you for more information?
Instagram: @AdoreDonnie (https://www.instagram.com/adoredonnie/)
Twitter: @AdoreDonnie (https://twitter.com/AdoreDonnie)